Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Stars for the Future

At the outset, I'd like to wish all readers a Very Happy and Prosperous new year 2005, albeit I'm quite late with my first blog! given that its early February now! But hey, I'm all ready to continue blogging:)

There have been quite a few games taking place around the world, and England-Southafrica has been a tale of fluctuating fortunes if there was ever one.
The balance has shifted between both sides, and England just about managed to pick themselves up in time to clinch the test series.

The most striking feature,for me though, has been Kevin Pieterson's introduction to the big stage. Pieterson is fast becoming one of my favourite batsmen. Michael Clarke has enthralled the cricket world with his stunning performances in both forms of the game, but I'm willing to stick my neck out here to make a prediction. According to me, three years down the line, when their careers have been established, Kevin Pieterson will be the better batsman in Michael Clarke in both forms of the game. Clarke, no doubt is one of the most exciting talens who will probably go on to be one of the best Australian batsmen, but I still think Pieterson is the one to watch out for.

I followed Pieterson's career right from the time he started making waves on the county circuit and did mention to my friends a few months back that I had a feeling this bloke would make it big on the international circuit. His batting is full of confidence and flair. Bordering on arrogance, his body language is very positive indeed and the confidence he possesses will translate into the longer version of the game too. There are a couple of flaws in his technique and there has been talk that his stroke play is quite oriented towards the on side but then as he gains more experience he will definitely improve on it. After all, most batsmen, the great Tendulkar included ,do have some weakness or the other.

England are eagerly awaiting the Ashes battle, and it might be first real chance in a long time for England to regain the Ashes. I feel England should go in with the following batting line up: Strauss Trescothick Vaughan Pieterson Thorpe Flintoff Jones(Geraint) Giles Hoggard Harmison Jones(Simon)

Although the Ashes may not be an ideal situation to blood a youngster, it might work to England's advantage as Pieterson's mentality and approach is very Aussie like. Butcher and Key are good middle order bats but the adjectives end there for them and 'good' will not beat a 'great' Australian team. Ideally Vaughan should open but as Trescothick and Strauss have settled well into their positions,first drop seems to be the best position for him. The bowling attack looks potent for once and while Harmison was a shadow of his former self recently, it was more due to homesickness than anything else, he should be ready to take on the Aussies. As a neutral observer, it is going to be a great series to watch,and am looking forward to watching Pieterson bat against the Aussies.

1 Comments:

Blogger RPM said...

Welcome back!

Well, as you may have realized from some of my cricket-related blog posts, I am not a big fan of England as a cricket team. I think they are a little overrated and the Ashes will be a good reality check for them.

What do you think about Yuvraj being selected and Kaif being dropped from the Indian test XV? I think it is pathetic! I think Ganguly is again playing favorites. Nothing surprising, I guess.

1:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home